Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My Joburg


Wikipedia Facts

  • Johannesburg has more than 1o million trees and is the biggest man made forest in the world
  • There are more than 10 million people living in the greater Johannesburg area
  • The greater Johannesburg area consists of Ekhuruleni (East Rand), The West Rand, Lenasia, Soweto
  • Is one of the 40 largest metropolitan areas in the world
  • O.R. Tambo International is the largest and busiest airport in Africa
  • Johannesburg`s land area is 1, 645 square kilometres (635 square miles)
  • The average high for summer is 25 Celsius (77 Fahrenheit)
  • The average high for winter is 17 Celsius (63 Fahrenheit)
  • The highest recorded temperature is 35 Celsius (95 Fahrenheit)
  • The lowest recorded temperature is -8 Celsius (19 Fahrenheit)
  • Is 2000 metres above sea level
  • Produces 16% of the GDP of South Africa
  • The container terminal in City Deep is the largest "dry port" in the world
  • Johannesburg`s Sister Cities are Taipei (Republic of China), Birmingham (United Kingdom), New York City (USA), Sao Paulo (Brazil) and Xi`an (China)

My Johannesburg

  • Has the most amazing thunder storms
  • Has the most awesome friends in the world
  • Houses the best family-in-law in the world
  • Has some of my favourite golf courses
  • Has the best climate in the world
  • Has some of my favourite memories
  • Has an energy all it`s own
  • Has been our home for 7 of our 9 years together
  • Has the worst taxi drivers in the world
  • Is the place where we got married
  • Is the place where we raised our canine kids and God willing will one day raise our own kids
  • Is where I started my career and where I`ll get it back on track
  • Is where I plan on staying

8 comments:

Frank J said...

yeah, Yeah, YEAH!!

Keith said...

Gosh, you have done some research on our back yard! I agree the thunderstorms are amazing. Good on you for sharing Johannesburg with your bloggers and WELCOME HOME!!!!

Heather Nicole said...

Hey you! The weather in Joburg sounds fantastic! Its almost the same year round...how cool!

Are the taxi drivers worse than NYC? Thats hard to beat lol!

I'm happy to hear your back "Home" and loving it. Thats the best place to be :) Joburg sounds like a wonderful place!

The Running Golfer said...

Hey Frank, I see we are in total agreement!

Keith, thx so much man, it`s great to be back! Ps. Thank goodness for Wiki.... :D

Hey Heather! Yip, the weather is pretty awesome, we are very lucky here. The taxi drivers are MUCH worse than NYC. At least there they try to adhere to the rules of the road. Our taxi drivers make up their own rules as they go along.

I reckon you and hubby should come visit us, pronto!

Wenchy said...

I loved this so very much. :)

The Running Golfer said...

Aaah thank you Wenchy, I learn from the best.... ;)

Rambler said...

This is great - may need to put you in my mag!

The Running Golfer said...

Rambler, me? Little old me? In your mag? Whooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!